Summer melt happens for a number of reasons.
Often, it’s students from lower socio-economic backgrounds that are more likely to ‘melt’ over the summer vacation. For some, it may happen because the financial implications of going to college hit home, and they choose a more affordable institution – or opt not to go at all.
For others, it may be that the people that supported them in their college application, such as their high school counselors, are no longer accessible to them over the summer. They’re missing support, resources, and people who will nudge them to complete their application.
Reasons students may melt…
- They no longer have access to high school counselors
- Lack of guidance or support from parents/family
- The cost of college is too much
- Complex forms to complete for their application
- Lack of access to technology
- Already earning through summer/part-time job